Mauritius has for centuries been referred to as the 'Star & Key' of the Indian Ocean given its importance as a strategic port of call for vessels travelling the Spice Route and further. Owning a vessel through a Mauritius GBCI Company and its registration in Mauritius has many advantages. Valsen has unique expertise and network of providers in the facilitation of the registration of ships in Mauritius.
- Applicant must be a citizen of Mauritius or
- A company incorporated in Mauritius and controlled by citizens of Mauritius
- Ship/ Yacht not older than 15 years since incorporation
- It must maintain class with one of the classification societies approved by the Director of Shipping who will issue a Mauritius Tonnage Certificate.
- A third party liability insurance must be produced with certificates evidencing compliance with international maritime conventions to which Mauritius has acceded.
- After all the required documents are submitted, the Certificate of Registration is delivered within 2 to 3 days.
- Initial registration US$ 500
- Mauritius registered vessels are exempt from tax on freight earnings.
- Dividends paid from the Mauritius shipping company are free of withholding tax
- Ship's stores, consumables, spare parts and bunkers are exempted from customs and excise duties
- Crew are exempted from Mauritius income tax
- No capital gains tax is payable upon the sale or transfer of a ship or of the shares in a shipping company
- No estate duty is payable on the inheritance of shares in a shipping company
- There are no restrictions on the nationality of the crew and work permits are not required
- Mauritius has ratified most of the international conventions on maritime safety, prevention of pollution and training and certification of seafarers
Why Valsen Fiduciaries
- Speedy and Efficient Service
- Expert advice on structuring options
- Dedicated ongoing compliance support
- Clientele Priority
- Offers the best value of any country/jurisdiction in the World.